Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Installed MonoTouch -- .NET Development for iPhone

After beating my head against Xcode and Objective C for 6 months, I finally bothered to install MonoTouch. If you don't know MonoTouch is a C# framework for developing iPhone apps.

Oh, soooo sweet.

1) No more manual memory handling.
2) The MonoDevelop environment is very close to Visual Studio, so I got an app up and running in the simulator in just a few minutes.
3. Did I mention, no more manual memory handling?
4. Integrated debugger! And works with Interface builder (much easier to hook up outlets).
5. I've read that the smallest possible app is about 5MB :( Haven't checked, though, and the release notes claim this has been improved.

Really looking forward to this for native iPhone app developement.

I'm still a big fan of just using the native app as a container for HTML via WebViews. But, MonoTouch will definitely be part of my arsenal for quickly creating iPhone apps.

No comments: